Wednesday, March 9, 2011

What’s in a Name?

I’ve recently Googled my name. Fess up, you’ve done it too. We all have. I was bored and needed to fill five minutes of my time. Normally I would’ve Googled some book I heard about but I decided to shake things up a bit.

At this point I should probably introduce myself. My name is Kendel.

Growing up I heard every Ken Doll joke elementary school children could imagine. None were very clever. When someone calls out "Kendel" I’m the only one who turns around. But I do share my name with many law firms, towing companies, and even a winery. And, I suppose, one of the Kardashian’s younger sisters. Otherwise my name is fairly unique and I like that. Don’t get me wrong, traditional or Biblical names like Sarah and James are nice too. And at least they can find their names on souvenir key chains.

Recently Google went and got all fancy with its instantaneously generated searches. On the list of suggestions I noticed Kendal Castle. Naturally I zeroed in. I mean, who doesn’t want a castle with their name on it? It beats the hell out of key chain.


Looking at the pictures, the “castle” more or less resembles something I built at the beach one summer when I was nine. Designed on the spot and washed away just as fast. After reading about it for a minute I learned it’s located in Kendal, Cumbria, England. That got me thinking.

Typically my first name is someone else’s last name but I never thought about the last name really coming from anywhere in particular. Now, I’ve seen Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves enough times to know he’s Robin of Locksley because he’s from Locksley. Why is that important? Because he’s English and the English have surnames instead of last names.

Once upon a time, when Kendal Castle was new, people were “of Kendal”. Their surname was Kendal. This idea formed in all of about two seconds but I could have slapped myself upside the head for not piecing it together sooner.


So, I am Old English for the point where the River Kent meets the dale. And the more I read about my English namesake the more I like it. Catherine Parr – King Henry VIII’s sixth and final wife (he died, she kept her head) – was born there in 1512. There’s even a mint cake from the area. York Peppermint Patty, eat your heart out!

Further self analysis lead to an epiphany. Kendel, in fact, suits me. As a kid I loved Paddington Bear. I enjoy a proper cup of tea. Roundabouts don’t confuse me in the slightest. I always say ‘please’ and ‘thank you’ and wait quietly in line. In short, I exhibit quite a few British characteristics.

For the first time my love of Wang Chung makes since.

1 comment:

  1. Keep Calm and Carry On in my life motto... although I don't believe I'm any part British. :(

    ReplyDelete