Thursday, June 9, 2011

Out of Print

Confession: I still possess my first library card. It’s a yellow plastic card a little thicker than the credit card in your wallet. On the front, top right corner, there’s sticker taped down with Scotch tape with the extirpation date (September 1997, in case you were curious). On the front, top left corner, there’s an orange outline drawing of sun with an evil looking face. Sort of smack in the middle there’s a bar code for scanning, and of course, that too is Scotch taped down. Also Scotch taped down is what passed for my signature on the first grade. On the back there’s a list of simple rules to follow and an oath that I am responsible for all items checked out. Quite simply this little card is one of my favorite things.

I don’t think I used it much as a kid. But as an adult I can understand now the power and freedom it could have given me. Because a library card isn’t really a card but a passport. I hope I’m not stealing that line from some public serve commercial. But I probably am.

I haven’t forgotten about this blog, I just didn’t have any inspiration until I saw another commercial. This one is for Amazon’s Kindle. You’ve probably seen it. A woman talks about how satisfying it is to read a book while a man shows her how easy it is to read a digital copy of a book on a Kindle.

The truth is the both have their pros and cons. However, I am a dedicated follower of the good old fashion paper book. And will be for the foreseeable future. Someday I’m sure I’ll cave and buy an iPad or a Kindle, just not yet.

Why? Of course I know you can keep your whole library on one device and if you read a lot (which I do) you can save money and trees in the long run. And of course it’s convenient to have all those book right there in one hand. But you never have to charge a book or call tech support if something goes wrong.

I buy my books used, on-line for around $3 including shipping. True, my paper backs might take almost two weeks to arrive (conveniently) in my mailbox but I have probably close to twenty books to tide me over in the mean time. When I’m finished reading I can either resell it, pass it off to a friend, donate it, or keep it. All of which save money and trees.

At some point I’m such I’ll buy an iPad. And at some point I’m sure that iPad will an eBook or twenty but right now I’m happy flipping through the pages of paperbacks and then proudly putting them on display as both art and bragging rights.

No comments:

Post a Comment